The college was founded by Fathers of French Foreign Mission in 1882. It is the oldest college in Karnataka with a history of 135 years and has been awarded A++ rating. The idea was proposed by Rev. Dr. Bonnand in 1841 when Catholic missionaries realized the dire need of an educational institution of this magnitude at that time. Many undergraduate and postgraduate courses in commerce, science and humanities have been made available by the college.